For all students who live alone *like me*, if you: have no enough time to cook, think that dining out is too much, This is an easy to make dish which is not too costly for you. The name is Bulgogi.
It’s famous, especially to foreigners, since it’s not hot at all! It usually consists of beef cooked on a stone, but you can make it with other type of meat on a simple frying pan. As my friend Kevin Woo told me, many people think that this is a Korean version of teriyaki. And I couldn’t agree more with you Kevin… I think bulgogi tastes better (Yes, we’re biased but whatever..)! =)
I have two versions of the recipe here. The later recipe is my Mom’s recipe that I got long before I know how to cook bulgogi. I just realized that her recipe is a kind of modification of Korean bulgogi. Way to go Mom!! ❤
So here it is… enjoy!
– Beef (tenderloin, thinly sliced, or you may also buy sliced beef for hotpot to make your life easier=))
– Soy sauce
– Cooking oil
– Sesame Oil
– Garlic (minced)
– Vegetables of your choice (mushrooms, carrot, brocolli, etc)
How to cook:
– Marinate beef with soy sauce and sugar
– In a pan, add cooking oil and stir the minced garlic followed by scallion and other vegetables
– Add the marinated beef
– add a little bit of sesame oil
– Stir fry untill the beef is cooked
– stir fry the beef until the water is generally drained
– you may add water to make sure the soy sauce and the vegetables is not burnt before the beef is well cooked
– if you decide to use mushrooms, do not add too much water for it will comes from the mushroom (you don’t want to have a bulgogi soup, don’t you)
– you don’t have to add salt since the soy sauce is already salty!
Mom’s variation [you may think it resembles ‘Hoka-Hoka Bento‘ menu. hahaha~]
Basically the same think, but without garlic, sesame or scallions
– milk or coffe creamer
– Onion, sliced, not minced
How to cook:
– marinate the beef with soy sauce, sugar and pepper
– add cooking oil to a pan, stir fry the onions
– add the beef and a little bit of water
– add milk or coffe creamer
– stir fry untill it’s cooked and not too much water left
– if you’re using milk, you don’t have to add more water!
– add a little bit of tapioca stratch to make the sauce thicker